PREP TIME : 15 mins
COOK TIME : 35 mins
TOTAL TIME : 50 mins
NOTE : “Rome Beauty” is the variety of apple that is best suited to baking, and is worth seeking out if you are making baked apples!
- 4 large good baking apples, such as Rome Beauty, Golden Delicious, or Jonagold
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1/4 cup currants or chopped raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- Preheat your oven:Set your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut out holes in apples for stuffing:Rinse and dry the apples. Using a sharp paring knife or an apple corer, cut out the cores, leaving the bottom 1/2 inch of the apples intact.If using a paring knife, first cut out the stem area and then use a small metal spoon to scoop out the seeds. Cut the holes so that they are an inch or so wide.
- Stuff with brown sugar, cinnamon, and extras, dot with butter:Place the brown sugar, cinnamon, currants or chopped raisins, and chopped pecans (if using) in a small bowl and stir to combine.Put the apples in a baking dish and stuff each apple with the sugar stuffing mixture. Place a dot of butter (a quarter of the tablespoon called for in the ingredient list) on top of the sugar.
- Bake:Pour the boiling water into the bottom of the baking dish. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 30 to 45 minutes, until the apples are cooked through and tender, but not overcooked and mushy.When done, remove the apples from the oven and baste them with the juices from the pan.Terrific with a side of vanilla ice cream.